Friday, July 18, 2008

Sometimes you feel like a Wolfgang...

Sometimes you don't. Lately, I haven't felt like a Mozart very often.

But yesterday I felt like something even better - a rock star. I work at a company of about 350 people, and though I've moved up the ladder fairly swiftly, and seem to have the respect of my peers, and am well-liked, I sometimes wonder if I really... noticed. There are a lot of people around me who are true rock stars - the kinds of people who run companies, are on top of their game 100% of the time, shoot up the ladder at a speed that'll blind you, etc. I sometimes feel like I'm 90% of that, but that something truly special's not there.

Then again, maybe I underestimate myself at times.

We have quarterly company meetings, where a small set of awards are given out to people who have distinguished themselves from amongst the crowd, and it's based on feedback from your peers, etc. It's called the Golden Cart (we're a comparison shopping engine... you might have heard of us). Because of how my role is structured, much of my work involving outside vendors rather than internal people, I never thought I'd be in contention for one of those. But I got one.

And it felt pretty damn good. It didn't hurt that it came with a cash bonus, too.

So for that particular day, I felt like a Mozart.

No comments: