Sunday, July 20, 2008

Nobody Knows Me Like My iTunes

Do you ever get the feeling that you're in sync with your iPod, or your iTunes. Or, more frighteningly, it's in sync with you?

My iTunes holds a lot of music. My entire collection, in fact, and... I like collecting music. If you started my iTunes and let it run uninterrupted, it would currently play for 27 straight days.

I'm feeling a little blue today, a little lonely, and have been puttering about, doing home chores. Yet, every song seems to strangely know exactly how I'm feeling. It's a greatest hits of melancholy, a constantly unfolding flashback of the depressing, sappy music I would've listened to in my teens and twenties when I felt the world was against me. A little "Nothing Compares 2 U", a little "What's Gonna Happen to Us?" (a great Daryl Hall song, incidentally), some well-wrought songs about picking yourself up by the bootstraps by a great Irish band called the Devlins...

I mean, I have 9000 songs... how can iTunes know to play every song that I'd actually pick out for myself if I was playing DJ and wanted to enhance that feeling of emptiness and loss? How creepy is that? Where's the "Shiny Happy People" or some Rolling Stones?

Jesus, it just started "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" by U2.

Stop stalking me, Mr. iTunes. Please.

No comments: