Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Winner in 3

Finding yourself single again is supposed to be about discovering new things to enjoy, or reconnecting with old things. I've caught up with old friends, including my college girlfriend, who is a wonderful woman going through some shit of her own that she is, frankly, too good a person in my opinion to have to endure. I tracked down one of my first co-workers in LA, who I haven't seen in 8 years, who is still in the Hollywood rat race and loving it, though... she seemed quietly sad too. 

But one of the things that I've really enjoyed the last few months is playing tennis. I play with my friend Stuart, and we're both guys who hadn't picked up a racket in 10-15 years (I think I last played in high school). We're both naturally athletic, but obviously not great tennis talents yet. We play every week, almost without fail, and we're pretty evenly matched, and getting better each week. The matches are pretty competitive - we both like to win, and we both like to push ourselves. Since I haven't had many physical outlets the last few years chasing around a little kid (I haven't made the time, and am fortunate not to get fat naturally...), this has been great. 

Stuart led the series 6-4 up until a couple weeks ago, and we had to call a tough match because of darkness. So that didn't hit either win column. I've had a bear of two weeks of work, doing nothing other than working or caring for Zach since... god, it feels like forever. Or at least since the camping trip. So I really, really needed to work out some aggression tonight. Took the first set, 6-4, lost the second 6-3 and then jumped out to a 5-2 lead in the third before collapsing and letting him tie it up at 5-5. After finally stopping driving the ball long, and held on for the win, 7-5. Felt pretty good. A minor Mozart moment. 

Though Stuart still has me, 6-5.

No comments: