Sunday, March 8, 2009

See, there's just one story and everyone's the star...


See there's just one story
And everyone's the star
And it goes like this...

No one will ever love you
For everything you are 

And so you build up layers of deception
And you leave out things to alter the perceptions
Of the ones you love
Who would never love you back
If they knew all about you
Every solitary fact
-- Song for Caden, "Synecdoche, New York"

You think that people have it figured out. Everyone except for you. You're the only one who feels so horribly confused or lost. 

Except that's not remotely true. In fact, the more you get to know people - even the people you know really well - it becomes more clear that they are just as lost, confused and conflicted as you. I have some friends who are very dear to me, and I swear, spending time with them never ceases to put some of my own issues into perspective. These are people who are confident, secure, successful, incredibly smart. Generous, kind, wonderful people, who I adore. And, yet, they're total messes in so many ways. 

I'm not sure if that should make me MORE or LESS sad. There's a certain comfort in knowing that other people are just as fucked up as you are, each in their own, terribly unique, ways. But then there's also the question - why can't we all get our shit together?

No comments: